Qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services
Gradia is offering a study programme in restaurant and catering services delivered completely in English. You will graduate as a cook, with a set of versatile skills for cooking, baking and customer service roles. After completing the qualification you will have strong language skills and the skills to work or study in international environments in the restaurant and catering industry.
Extent of the studies: 180 CP
Average time of the studies is two to three years based on your personal competence development plan (PCDP) and prior competence.
- Study time: 15 January 2024 – 31 December 2026
- Application time: 1 August 2023 – 15 November 2023 Apply now (Hae koulutukseen -button)
This qualification is suitable for you if
- you are interested in completing the Qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services in English
- you are working in a multicultural organization
- you are interested in advancing your career
- you are interested in an international career
- you have competences and skills working as a cook, but you would like to develop your language skills
Eligibility and how to apply
Basic entrance requirements for studying for vocational qualification in restaurant and catering services:
- Completed Finnish comprehensive school or other basic education (approximately nine years, age 7–16)
- Good written and oral command of English
- 18 years of age
- The applicant is required to have a state of health appropriate to the restaurant and catering services
- Language skills are tested in a selection interview.
- Good written and oral command of English.
Students are selected based on an interview and written exam.
Applicants will be contacted and invited to a selection interview within a week after the application period has ended.
Multiple ways of study
The study is carried out as full-time education in accordance with the personal competence development plan (PCDP). Teaching and guidance are provided as face-to-face, project and team learning as well as online and distance learning (Teams). Studies also include independent study as well as on-the-job learning.
Structure of the study
Scope of qualification is 180 competence points (cp).
Compulsory units: 85 competence points
- Working in catering services: 20 competence points
- Preparing lunch dishes: 40 competence points
- Preparing plated dishes: 25 competence points
Optional units: 60 competence points
- Preparing à la carte dishes: 30 competence points
- Food preparation for catering services and special occasions: 25 competence points
- Street and fast food services: 10 competence points
- Café services: 10 competence points
Working in international environment: 15 competence points
Common units, 35 competence points
- Communication and interaction skills
- Skills in mathematics and natural sciences
- Societal and working life skills
Costs of studies
There are no tuition fees, but you must purchase kitchen clothing, work shoes and other study material. Approximate costs are €300. Lectures and meals are free for all students.
Employment and opportunities for further studies
After completing the qualification, you will be able to work as a cook in restaurants and catering services with different business ideas. A vocational qualification gives students eligibility for further education in universities and universities of applied sciences in Finland as well as an advantage when working in international restaurant environments.
Read more: eRequirements
Hakupalvelut, 040 341 6193, email@example.com